Sunday, January 25, 2009

no days off

I haven't worked 7 days a week in umm.. three years? It was strange.

They say you can find out a lot about someone by going through their trash.

Turns out, you can find out a lot about your fellow coworkers by doing their job for two days.

The internet is a great invention. It's essentially this massive speakers corner, and whenever you want, you get to take center stage and tell everyone that's listening [and in my case, not a whole lot, hahaha] what makes your buttons tick, why you're upset with the now, and do your dark poetry slam screaming until you feel better.

When it comes to my work, I'm all about organization, planning, efficiency, and having a map in place that shows me the path to getting the work done. If there wasn't a guidebook written when I got hired, I write one as I learn, and continually add on to it when I learn something new. I like having points of reference and a go-to checklist or manual so that way I don't need to waste my brainpower on something that a pen and paper can remember for me.

Plus, I haven't figured out how to utilize the part of my brain that still remembers that 19, 65, 9, 17 and 4, 2, 1, 6, and 1, 9, 9, 2, 1, 1, 2, 4 are codes that go to a videogame that I played when I was 8. That part of my brain is awesome, and I wish I could harness that memorability and make use of it for things that I could REALLY use.

The weekend was okay, but it was extremely frustrating that my job was organization... and the people I was cleaning up after had no sense of it whatsoever.

Anyhow, I'm sitting here at the end of the day and thinking that when its all said and done... it was a colossal disappointment that no one else showed up to help with the extra duties that needed to get done. So I did the one thing that I thought was the best investment of my time.

I LABELED stuff.

Its amazing how much faster I got things done once there was a simple improvised organization system. Not everything got done, but at least I was able to leave some kind of stepping stool for the person who is to fill that job tomorrow.

Thankyou internet for helping me survive by myself at the office. Had I not had the endless blue ocean of www to vent my frustrations to, I think I may have gone crazy.

Well... I mean *more* crazy.

Fortune time:

DISAPPOINTMENT IS THE NURSE OF WISDOM

No comments: