Friday, January 16, 2009

Who was this police officer?

He was my friend.

Someone whom I confided in a lot...

A role model, and a person who offered guidance when I needed it.

He was even taller than the person who's currently labeled as 'the tallest person I know'.

He was inspiration for excelling at what I did best.

He was always there when I came home...

He taught me what it truly meant to laugh, and he showed me what it felt like to fly.

And on the day he left this earth... he was the first person the break my heart.

I miss him a lot, and often wonder where my life would have gone had he not died. But things happen sometimes that you have no control over, and you will never get an explanation for. Its maddening and frustrating and definitely unfair. And its not something you get over or just shurg and say, there's a reason for it.

But I realized that I'm not unhappy where I am now.

Not to say that I'm here because he's not. The road that I've traveled to get here was in the beginning harder to continue walking on when he left. He was supposed to be there. He already planned out the directions we were going to take when we got X amount of footsteps down the road.

But it was hard once he passed away. There was even a point where I stopped walking on it altogether.

Then one day I realized that this road that I'm on shouldn't be so difficult to continue travelling on without him... it should be easier. I had such a small yet so very very valuable and precious amount of time with him walking beside me on that road called Life, and that alone was reason to be thankful. There weren't many others that could say the same thing, or tell the funny stories about him that I could. I realized that it shouldn't have been so hard to continue taking the same steps I was taking the day before he died. For he showed me how to not just walk on the road, but to skip across it, to dance on it, to sing about it, and to enjoy the road so much more.

So at the end of today, on the anniversary of the day he passed away, the pain is still there...

....but underneath it, a smile, because once upon a time I was blessed to know this terrific person, if only for a little while...

No comments: