Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day

Or, if you're like most single people out there, Happy Single's Awareness Day!

Me.... yes I'm single. But I'm not letting it get to me. I saw a cool concert, I got free chocolate at work [even though it wasn't *just* for me - it was 'something for the whole class' so I got included, hahaha], and quite frankly, I was up way too late last night to feel like I got any sleep. I might start dragging and yawning if I had a date tonight. LOL

So..... youtube has a billion videos up today about Valentine's Day and how to mess it up/how not to mess it up. The TV has a hundred thousand billion commercials, hidden advertisements, etc on a 'last minute gift' because they know you still forgot to get a gift today. Billboards and newspapers are all colored red and pink with hearts and other 'mushy' blah blah blah

Now, if you've got someone to share today with, its fun to have a set date on the calendar to look forward to something and plan some special time together.

But when I was dating, the best 'valentine's day' was the one that wasn't marked on the calendar. It was the days that he remembered me when it wasn't a 'holiday.' The element of surprise! The random act of kindness when its NOT planned - that's what should be considered special, not some landmark date every year that makes men out to be the bad guy if they don't remember that being a nice guy counts on this one day out of the year.

So I'm not going to be all beat up and sad over not sharing it with anyone. If anything, I've been single for a while now, I've had plenty of time to beat myself up over it [e.g. when I sign for the various flowers/gift baskets/etc at work that OTHER people are receiving!! LOL]. Why spoil a perfectly good day with woe-is-me and boo-hoo that I didn't get anything. That's what Mondays are for! [haha kidding]

Anyhow... no big deal. :)

Plus, when I find Mr. Right, he's probably going to forget about Valentine's Day anyway. Which will be absolutely fine with me, because he'll remember me on other random days that won't be marked on the calendar, just because he's going to be awesome like that.

So my advice to everyone today is this: Don't try and find fault or disappointment in your special someone, and don't be upset if you don't have a special person to share today with. Appreciate every breath and moment that you have in the presence of whoever it is that you'll be spending today with. Friends, family, husband/wife/boyfriend/girlfriend. Be happy, and pretend its not even valentine's day.

Because... there's plenty of people out there today that won't be celebrating. A spouse may have finally lost a battle with a disease, someone headed home to spend the holiday with family may have not made it to the scheduled destination and instead went on an unscheduled trip to Heaven, or the flowers being purchased today may be delivered to someone's headstone rather than their hands.

Time is too short to count faults and disappointments, and its simply a waste to stare at others being happy while comparing it to your own unhappiness. Take hold of the steering wheel that directs your life, and go make your own happiness today without the stress of some silly greeting card holiday.

Be thankful, and be satisfied.

And pray for those who got that taken away from them because of a tragedy or other unforeseen circumstances.

No comments: