Thursday, October 16, 2008

Friday is just around the corner

Working 12 hours [technically 13 since I took a lunchbreak] is a bit tiring. Especially with not a lot of sleep.

There are several phases of lack of sleep.

The first phase was tension. The start of the day was very tense. I had 13 hours before my ride was to pick me up, and the first hour had barely passed at a speed that would make a turtle look like Speedy Gonzalez.

Tension turned to fear, the next phase, when I realized that I might fall asleep in the middle of my boring monotonous work, which would probably cause me to get fired.

Soon after, the next phase to appear was anxiety, when my eyelids closed for almost an entire minute. I jumped out of my chair too fast, causing a headache from the sudden rush of blood to the brain.

Then my coworker arrived that I was going to tell 'No' to, and I was suddenly alert and ready to do battle... until the power went out. Hooray! Now I was at liberty to walk around and fight the phases of sleepiness.

But the physical conditions soon started becoming apparent. The knee started twitching and giving out on me [does that if I don't sleep enough.] My ears suddenly became keenly aware of sounds that I could swear came from miles away. My eyes became sensitive to the outside light, especially in the dark powerless workplace.

After power came back and things were back to normal, the next phase kicked in. Relaxation. Its ok to give in, I could hear my eyeballs telling me. You can't hold the weight of your eyelids any longer.... you know you want to give in to sleep.

Food strengthens me at the halfway point, and then it feels like things just start all over again.

But miraculously, I have survived almost 10 hours.... and make it to the final phase of the day.

The giggles.

This would have been easy to ignore and skip right over, but suddenly reared its laughing head all the way to the top of all the phases when a coworker injured her eye.

Typically, when you hurt yourself you usually say Ouch! Or, My [body part that got injured!!] Or I'm bleeding! Or even just a weird noise that signifies pain.

My coworker?

I have asbestos in my eye!!

And with that as giggles material to hold me over the final hours of the day, I have conquered the phases of lack of sleep.

The bed is calling me now though. So is my brain. It's angry that I didn't let it function at its full potential, and is upset that I tried to trick it into thinking it could with multiple cups of green tea.

And the bed is telling me, long time no see, let's catch up....

So with that being said, its fortune time.

YOU WON'T THINK THIS WAS VERY FUNNY.

No comments: